Joan was the Educational and Psychological Consultant at The Brick Church School from 2001-2014. She currently consults at many New York City private nursery schools and public early childhood programs. In her preschool consulting role, Joan:
- Observes children in the classroom
- Identifies children’s strengths
- Supports teachers by offering:
- Insight into the behavior of children who are having difficulties in the classroom
- Strategies to help children who are struggling with: behavior, impulse control, paying attention, following directions, social interactions, transitions, learning, etc.
- Techniques to stimulate language development with language delayed children
- Suggestions on how curriculum and room design can be modified to support children
- An opinion on whether a child needs to be evaluated, and if so, what type of evaluation would be most helpful
- A summary and interpretation of an evaluation report
- Assistance in report writing
- Assistance in creating an educational plan for individual children
Joan offers faculty workshops on:
- Separation & Adjustment to School
- The Power of Descriptive Praise: Building Children's Self-Confidence, Willingness to Embrace Challenges, and Joy in Learning*
- Positive Discipline
- Guidelines for Parent-Teacher Conferences
- The Role of Morning Meeting in Promoting Children's Self-Regulation
*Joan's workshop The Power of Descriptive Praise was chosen by The Executive Leadership Institute (which provides professional development to school leaders) to be presented at the Los Ninos Young Child Expo & Conference in Spokane, WA. on October 1, 2015.
Joan will be glad to create a customized workshop for a school, daycare center, or pediatrician’s office.
- Child Studies:
In a Child Study, Joan observes a child in the classroom whose behavior and/or development presents a challenge to the teachers. She then leads a faculty meeting to discuss the child - helping teachers sharpen their observation skills in order to identify the child’s strengths as well as the underlying cause of the child’s challenging behavior. During this discussion,
Joan recommends ways to support the child’s development in school and makes suggestions to teachers on how they can offer meaningful guidance to the parents. Joan is available to consult on an as needed basis at any New York City nursery school or early childhood program.